Give a Little Love to Yourself ...
Self-care looks different to everyone. It’s not always pedicures and massages. It can be taking a nap, turning off the news, going for a walk, calling a friend or enjoying homemade cookies.
Self-care allows us to tune in, to relieve stress, and improve our mood. It really and truly can allow us to be better versions of ourselves. Someone who prioritizes self-care will usually have an aura around them: they are present, they set self-preserving boundaries and emit kindness.
To all of you parents that are suddenly homeschooling, to you kids that suddenly aren’t getting to play baseball after school, to the overworked medical employees, and everyone in-between, please take care of yourself. Prioritize fun or at least some decompressing into your day. It is impossible to take care of others if you are not taking care of yourself.
Here are some ideas if you are ready to give yourself some much-deserved self-care:
- Try guided meditation. Headspace and Calm are both free apps that are great for getting started
- Video chat with old friends
- Plant an herb garden
- Watch silly animal videos online (have you seen the MQ’s ducks?!)
- Do a mid-day stretch
- Hit the snooze button
- Go for a drive, listening to your favorite tunes
- Skip checking social media for an hour, or a day, or a full week.
- Take a bath
- Cook yourself a nice meal, set the table & use the fancy dishes that usually stay at the top of your cupboards. Bonus points if you keep the TV off and light some candles!
Self-care doesn’t have to be anything fancy, expensive, or Instagram worthy. Self-care is not selfish. Repeat after me: Self-care is not selfish!
Mystic Quarry is sending everyone well wishes. Take care of yourself & each other!